Monday, November 27, 2017

STRAIGHT UP JOY

Yesterday I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting on Alma 30:34 and I really focused on the JOY that comes from sharing the gospel. Sister Johnson (my STL) shared with us this week that joy stands for 
Jesus 
Others
Yourself
When we put Jesus first, then others, and then ourselves, we can experience joy. Also the elders can't stop laughing cause I got really pumped and excited in my talk and I said "this is STRAIGHT UP JOY" hahah I guess I should've been a little more dignified but I can't help but get excited when I talk about how much joy comes from sharing the gospel!!! 

Well this was another great week!! On Tuesday we had exchanges in Horseheads with our STLs which was a lot of fun.

Thursday we got to go to the Episcopal church in Corning where they have a Thanksgiving lunch every year. Sister Jerulli (a member of our congregation) usually takes the missionaries there to eat, mingle, and mainly to help clean up. Haha she couldn't take us but she told us about it and we got to go on our own which was really cool! We also got to have a tour of their chapel and it was BEAUTIFUL! Seriously so gorgeous, it was really cool to learn more about their faith! Also they had tons of religious books on these shelves that we were looking at (there were also two copies of the BoM there, heck yeah) and Elder Wright said "the funny thing is, not one of those books will tell you to pray about it" and that got me thinking. It's so true. A huge focus I have on my teaching and my tracting approaches is that we can each come to know these things for OURSELVES. I don't want anyone to believe any of the things I say. I want everyone to pray and ask God Himself if these things are true. We each have our own individual relationship with God and He is waiting for us to come to Him in prayer so He can guide us.
Also that day we went around and delivered cute little notes to our investigators and Less Actives telling them how grateful we are for them. WOW I love being a missionary. We had dinner at the Weilands which was AMAZING and then we headed over to Utica and spent the night in the mission home for our meeting the next day! 

Friday was return and report where all the trainers and trainees came together to see how things are going, etc. It was a great meeting. I'm so grateful for President and Sister Rogers and seriously all they do for us. They are incredible people! 

It feels like we were out of our area a lot this week haha but it was a good week! On Sunday we saw Brittany who's doing really good. She hasn't been coming to church so she isn't able to make her baptism date next month. We had her pull out her phone calendar and set her own baptism date for when she'll be able to make it. So her new date is January 13! Which we know she'll be able to make (But if you could all pray that she does make this date, that'd be great!)
Yesterday we taught Singing Time in Primary again which was SO FUN!!! I seriously miss being around kids so much. But also... THE TORRENCES CAME TO CHURCH!!!!! They're the best family. They were baptized right before I got here but they haven't been able to make it to church FIVE WEEKS IN A ROW. Which they have FELT. Things in their life have been going kinda crazy and all we can do is keep testifying of how they receive so much strength when they come to church to overcome the challenges that are going on in their lives. They were able to come yesterday and it was the best feeling to see them there! 

I love this work so much and I am so grateful for the JOY that it truly brings us in any situation, because when we focus on Christ, we feel joy. Hope you all had a great thanksgiving and don't forget to #LightTheWorld this Christmas season!! 

if you haven't seen the videos yet, check them out!!!

Sister Rodriguez

Pics: 

1. WHEN YOU GET YOUR BEST FRIENDS WEDDING ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE MAIL I'M DYING. 



2. Thanksgiving!



3. My MTC comp and I at return and report


4. Beautiful New York summed up into one pic: Chicken riggies, garlic knot, and half moon cookies 💕😍


5. Ashley's "rules to being a missionary" 


No comments:

Post a Comment