Monday, October 9, 2017

Spanish Restorations



Cool experience this week: We were driving trying to find a Prospective Elder on our branch list and we'd never met him before. The GPS ended up taking us to a dead end but there was a small road next to it, so we went down that road hoping it'd take us where we wanted to go. Well it turns out it was someone's driveway! Haha I got out of the car so I could back Sister Jenkins up while she turned around. I was about to get in the car when the Spirit told me to knock on this persons door. I ignored it because I felt super creepy because this house is basically in the middle of nowhere. Again, the Spirit prompted me that we needed to knock on this persons door. I honestly felt like the person was just going to yell at us, but I doubted that missionaries had ever knocked on this door before. I open the car door and tell Sister Jenkins we were gonna go knock on this door. So we get out and knock. We say how we're sharing a message of Christ and the lady asked if we were Mormon, we said yes and asked if she'd met Mormon missionaries before, she said YES. She told us that she was baptized Mormon about 20 years ago in Pennsylvania! WHAT?! Haha she said she'd never been to church here in this area because she didn't know where it was. She didn't remember much of the message we share so we were able to teach her the Restoration. She told us that last week her friend invited her to a Bible study and now we were here knocking on her door. She said she knows God is trying to tell her something! I am so grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost and God being so patient with me when I'm stubborn and ignore promptings the first time. We should NEVER ignore a prompting the first time it comes. That's something I've really been trying to work on. Luckily God sent the prompting to me again and I listened the second time. This Less Active then pointed us back down the right road and we were able to go see the Prospective Elder who also hasn't been to church in years but was glad we showed up and wants to come to church! 

The rest of this week has been filled with lots of service and hard work. I love being companions with Sister Jenkins. She is such a hard worker and has taught me so much. We have seen so many miracles and there are just so many people to see and teach her, we are so so blessed! 

There's also a really cool woman that we're teaching named Jennifer. The sisters in Elmira started teaching her while she was there, but she recently moved back to Painted Post so we started teaching her and she is so incredible and even came to church yesterday! She's in a wheelchair and has lots of health problems so she has to have an aide with her 24/7. This whole week she's been bending over backwards to make sure she had an aide that would come to church with her and got a ride to church. The only ride she could get was someone that dropped her off early and had to pick her up early. So she came for just Sacrament meeting and she showed up an hour and a half early! It really showed me how much faith she has. Most people make the lamest excuses for not coming to church (case and point: one of our investigators didn't come to church because he had 'paint on his hands and didn't want to make a bad first impression') and here's Jennifer who actually has legit excuses for why she wouldn't be able to come to church and yet she planned in advance and went out of her way to make sure she would be there. She has the sweetest spirit and I'm grateful to know her!

Funny stories of the week:

We are fresh out of copies of the Book of Mormon and fresh out of Restoration pamphlets! We literally have no supplies, it's good cause it means we've given them all away but seriously we feel so weird walking around without a copy of the Book of Mormon or a Restoration pamphlet in our hands. Also when we teach about the first vision I love to show the depiction from the pamphlet of Joseph seeing God the Father and Jesus Christ. Well.... in our car we found Restoration pamphlets!!... but they were in Spanish! Hahaha so we walked around with those and when we would teach people, we would just show them the picture from the pamphlet cause luckily the pictures are the same hahah.

Us tracting: "We're sharing a message about how Christ's church is again on the earth today being lead by a prophet and 12 apostles!"
Lady: "I'm sorry, I really just don't care" *shuts the door* 

Haha anyways it was a great week! Love you!
xoxo
Sister Rodriguez

Pics: 

1. THERE'S A 7-11 IN CORNING I HAVEN'T HAD A SLURPEE IN SOOOO LONG SO THIS WAS THE BEST DAY EVER.




2-5. Views








No comments:

Post a Comment