Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Health, History, and Horses

The 3 H's that Saratoga is known for: Health, History, and Horses! 

This morning the Springs, some members, took us on a tour of the race track in town! I have no idea how I got so lucky to be here. The town is seriously SO busy this time of year. It's the oldest race track in the U.S., it had it's first horse race in 1863. The race season only lasts 6 weeks from August to the beginning of September and I am so blessed to have been here for it. We got a free tour and it was BEAUTIFUL and so so so cool. I for reals love my life. Not only is this incredible because of the history and the busy town and all the people here, but because of the success we've seen this week. 

We worked HARD this week. And we were SO blessed for it. We picked up 7 new investigators and put 5 new people on date to be baptized. I think the coolest experience was Krystal. So in Toga there's this main street called Broadway where EVERYONE goes. Everyone is so fancy and a lot of people are visitors and it's just always so packed. We made a goal to do an hour of OYMing (or street contacting) everyday and we usually go to Broadway because there are tons of people to talk to. Neither of us particularly LOVE OYM'ing but we know it's a way that we can show the Lord our willingness to work hard and do the things we don't always want to do, but to show Him our faith and dedication and obedience. So this one day the time we set for OYMing was from 11:30-12:30. Right at 12:00 we got super hungry and started talking about what we were going to have for lunch and how we were so tired, etc. We sucked it up and kept talking to as many people as we could. We set a goal of teaching 3 '5 minute Restorations'. 12:30 rolls around and we had taught 2 of them and felt good about it. We were tired, hungry, and ready for a break. We walk towards the car and almost got in when we saw this girl standing on the sidewalk smoking and on her phone. We decided one more person, we walked up to her and just asked if we could give her a card. She asked what it was for and we said it was about Christ, she got super excited and was like "Oh my gosh!! I'm like really interested in this!! Do you have something you could share with me? I really want to learn more!" So we taught her a 10 minute Restoration lesson and set up a return appointment. I got in the car and almost cried, I felt so blessed. Here we were tired and ready to go eat, but it really showed me that the Lord blessed us so so so much for being diligent and talking to just one more person.
 
Also crazy story, her boyfriend is named Scott, we met him briefly. 2 days later we went to an appointment we had set up with a former, who just so happened to be the same Scott!!! We put him on date to be baptized! Also Scott and Krystal came to a church tour on Saturday and really want to learn more and come to church!! She asked all the right questions and really is just so so prepared. Wow. Real blessings come from doing the Lords work. 

Everyday Sis DeGolyer and I just talk about how blessed we are. This really is the most incredible area. We see blessings and miracles everyday. The work is going along so well, we're just trying to keep up. I think I mentioned before but we both have served in Manchester, which is well, a little rougher. hahah so we both talk about how blessed we are to be here where so much is going on compared to the past. The Lord really has so many blessings in store for us as we hold out faithful. 

Also, last story. But this week our mission had a car fast. No one could use their car all day. It seriously made me so grateful for the car that we do have. Our mission has the most cars out of any other mission in the world (or at least one of the most) bc it's literally impossible to get anywhere in Upstate NY without a car. We had to cancel our service bc it was about 10 miles away. We were so blessed that day. Saw so many miracles and that's really what it was for, to show the Lord our faith and willingness to be diligent in talking with everyone. We walked about 10 miles that day (honestly to the missionaries that don't have a car, idk how y'all do it but props to ya) but we were just EXHAUSTED at the end of the day. But we saw blessings and miracles all around! We pray every night now and thank Heavenly Father for our car hahaha 

Pics:
1. NY in one picture



2. THIS GUY WAS DRIVING AROUND WITH A PANDA HEAD ON IT WAS SO CREEPY



3. Falafel den lol what an adventure



4. Saratoga Lake (how did I get so blessed to be in such a beautiful area)



5. Our last appointment for the night fell through on our car fast day so we walked around for the last 30 minutes. Well, in Manchester this would happen all the time (like every night haha idk how I survived 6 months in that place) so Sister Hall and I would balance a Book of Mormon on our head while we walked around trying to talk to people, so I got really good at it. So this week, when we walked around for the last half hour, I balanced the Book the entire time and Sis DeGolyer was so impressed she took a picture. Hahah what can I say it's one of my many talents😂




6. My comp snapped a pic of me right after we got home after the car fast hahah I've never been so tired. We're still recovering😂
 

$20 million house in Toga :)
Where do I even live?!?!





The rest is of our Tour of the race track!






Us placing our bets ;)
Also the horses were getting their shoes changed and one was being washed.  It was so cool!








No comments:

Post a Comment