Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Struggle Bus and a Party Wagon

Hello everyone!! This has been a LOOOOONG week! Week 6 is always a struggle but it's a good thing that today starts week 1 of transfer 3! So crazy. It's so weird to think that I'm not being trained anymore! I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing but I've heard that feeling never goes away as a missionary so I'm not sure how I feel about that haha!

Well on Monday and Tuesday we spent a lot of time saying goodbye to everyone cause it was Sister Lovelands last few days in Hamilton :( On Monday the Rains threw a goodbye party for her so that was really fun! I was sad to see her go, but I absolutely LOVE Sister Maughan!!!!! Seriously we get along so great, she is already one of my best friends. Last night we were laughing so hard that I could barely breathe! She is literally an answer to my prayers, I love her so much! 

So this week was one of the worst and yet best weeks on the mission. It was so rough because it literally rained for TWO DAYS STRAIGHT! Like with no break at all. I had no idea how big of an impact the weather had on me until I came out here. I get super grumpy when it rains. I just LOVE blue skies and sunshine so I definitely miss that. It's been getting dark here at like 6:45, plus with all the rain and the cold weather and with it being so dark, NO ONE ever wants to talk to us. Ya know those days that missionaries talk about where literally EVERYTHING falls through?! Yeah that was our entire WEEK! EVERYONE cancelled on us. It was so frustrating. I've been pretty good about staying positive but this week was just rough cause everything cancelled. I just get so frustrated because the message that we share is so important and dear to our hearts but it seems like no one ever wants to hear it. During 6-9 pm President Rogers wants us putting our focus on finding and teaching so we usually tract for an hour during that time and try to have our appointments set for then as well but this week tracting was a huge struggle because when it gets dark so early, people go to bed early and they get really mad when you knock on their door. It's seriously so frustrating I can't even tell you guys. Plus when our set appointments cancel it's hard to know where we're supposed to be or who we're supposed to be seeing. But Sister Maughan has been so great at keeping a good attitude so that helps a ton! 

But some great things did happen this week! We were able to decorate pumpkins with the Young womens and Lacey came, we set Catherine on date to be baptized for November 26 and she came to church yesterday, we got another one of our investigators progressing, and we FINALLY saw sunshine yesterday! Looking back on the week, it's easy to see the bad things that happened. But then I remember how many amazing things happened. Nick (from the gang) helped us teach the Plan of Salvation one day last week and he said that he likes to think of life as Satan and Heavenly Father playing a game of cards together. I love that concept! I've thought a lot about that this week. Even though sometimes Satan may lay a good card or whatever, we know that ultimately Heavenly Father has the upper hand and He WILL win! So it's pointless to even put your money on Satan when we know that our God will win. This week it was easy to see Satan try to discourage us. But of course he was trying to because so many good things happened! He's trying to keep with God but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if that concept made any sense to anyone else but I thought it was really neat.


Funny Stories:

So this week the WEIRDEST experience of my life happened. We were trying some potentials one night and we had parked on the side of the road (I'm driving) and we were just looking to see who else we could try. It was dark and cold and raining. We figured out who we were gonna go see when this car pulls up next to me. I roll my window down and this guy goes "Can I help you?" 
me: "oh no, we were just figuring out where we're going but we got it, thanks though!" and then he said something about intoxicated but i couldn't really hear him so i was like "You're intoxicated?"
Him: "No. I think YOU'RE intoxicated"
Me: "oh no.. I'm a missionary for my church and I don't drink so.."
Him: "Well it seems like you are. I got your license plate number and reported you to the police. The cops are on their way"
Me: "....okay....."
WHAT THE HECK, RIGHT?!!?!?! Like how could I seem intoxicated, we weren't even driving, we were pulled over!! It was so weird. We waited and then he drove away and we felt super uncomfortable so we called our district leader and then just went home. WEIRD! But really funny!


The other day we were trying another potential and we were like "Hi is Olivia home?" and this guy was like "yeah.." and then shut the door. And well, like 5 minutes later and he never came back.. haha super awkward!

Sister Maughan: "The two questions missionaries ask the most are: 1. where am I? and 2. What just happened?" haha I totally agree!

Oh another awkward story: We were contacting a referral and this lady answers the door and goes "come in! Oh get him, get my dog!" so I get the dog and start walking in and then she goes "I'm not interested!" and kicks us out! 
Guys missionary work is literally such a struggle. It's so awkward and the situations you find yourself in are so funny. But they make for great stories! Hahaha

Elder Cook: "umm I will be the captain of the party wagon" 

So that explains my subject line :)

Also I found this awesome quote by Elder Holland this week:
"With any major decision there are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now." 

Even though this week was a huge struggle and it was full of uncomfortable situations, I truly love this gospel. Being a missionary is such a privilege and I love being able to wear the Saviors name on my chest everyday. 

Hope you all have a great week!!

xoxo
Sister Rodriguez


Pictures:
Lacey: "pretend like you're eating it!... oh I look like i'm dabbing.."


Our first companionship selfie💓



When you're an idiot and accidentally get your hot chocolate in a slurpee cup...😂


So apparently the inventor of the computer was born in Hamilton!!! Represent!!!


Beautiful NY😍







No comments:

Post a Comment