Monday, September 18, 2017

Ups and Downs

I'll start with transfer news: I'm going to Corning NY!! It's also called Painted Post and my new address is 

100 Creekside Dr #104D 
Painted Post, NY 14870

just in case anyone wants to send me some mail or anythingπŸ˜‰

My new companion is going to be Sister Jenkins! I've never met her before but I'm super excited to work with her, I've heard good things! Also kinda funny, Manchester VT is the farthest EAST that you can get, well Corning is literally the farthest WEST that you can get. So I'm going from one side, to the other! But I'm super excited. I've also heard it's a tiny branch and a small town, so back to what I'm used to, being in upstate NY! Haha it's weird to think I only have 3 transfers left and that could be my last area! But I'm breaking the trend and I'm officially not a 6 month sister anymore! 

So this week was honestly one of the hardest ones on the mission. Wednesday I had a really hard day because the Manchester sisters got moved to Hoosick Falls, NY. So now there aren't any missionaries in Manchester. I don't know why but that was really hard for me to hear just thinking about how hard I worked there for 6 months and now it's closed. But I definitely know that everything happens for a reason. And I know that the Book of Mormon can bring us peace and ANSWERS! I had a cool experience where I was reading in Jacob 5 (can  you believe THAT'S the chapter I got my answer in haha) I read v. 47-48

"But what could I have done more in my vineyard? Have I slackened mine hand, that I have not nourished it? Nay, I have nourished it, and I have digged about it, and I have pruned it, and I have dunged it; and I have stretched forth mine hand almost all the day long, and the end draweth nigh. And it grieveth me that I should hew down all the trees of my vineyard, and cast them into the fire that they should be burned. Who is it that has corrupted my vineyard? And it came to pass that the servant said unto his master: Is it not the loftiness of thy vineyard-have not the branches thereof overcome the roots which are good?"

And it goes on, but I love how I was doubting and asked what more could I have done in Manchester? That was my answer, that we WORKED. Manchester was by far my hardest area. Every night we went out night after night even when we had no plans. We would tract and OYM all night. It was really hard, but this scripture showed me that's what we did. It wasn't our fault, it was the pride of the people there (and that's the truth lol). On Thursday we actually went to Hoosick Falls to blitz the sisters since they're basically opening the area. I got to work with Sister M. Hall (my bffffffff) and we talked about how we knew we were meant to be in Manchester at that time, but it's definitely inspired that the sisters are in Hoosick now. It's God's will and it's going to be done! 
A way cool experience we had this week was when I was in Hoosick with Sister Morley. We had a lesson with this guy John who we actually met in Saratoga together on exchange! He told us when he went to Toga he was praying that he would meet someone meaningful. We talked a lot about prayer which is super cool because the approach I used to talk to him when we first met, was asking when the last time he prayed was! So it was super cool that God put that approach in my head and I had no idea he had been praying or had a huge connection to prayer! God is so good. 

Also Friday was one of the worst days by far. THREE of our investigators that we were so excited about, decided to drop up us. Flat on our butts. Hard core. It was awful. That whole day was basically the worst so I'm glad that it's over! DG and I were talking about how if it didn't hurt, we'd be doing something wrong. The bad days really help us appreciate the good ones. That night we got in, did our accounting prayer, and DG looked at me and goes "It was a long hard day. And we're going to do it all over again tomorrow, you ready?" I smiled and said "YES" because as hard as this work is, it is the greatest thing I have ever done. I will gladly take people slamming doors in our face, tracting and OYMing all day and night, investigators dropping us, plans falling through, and hard days if it means we're one step closer to finding the elect. This IS the Lord's work and I am so lucky to have a nametag and be apart of it. As hard as it is, I'll do it all day, day in and day out. It's the greatest work ever done and I love it. 

One of the ups this week was that we got priesthood blessings from the elders! I always feel so much peace and comfort from those and it said exactly what I needed to hear. I know that the Priesthood power is so real and that God lives and knows us each so personally. We taught the Plan of Salvation last night to a couple who are in their 50's and I couldn't stop smiling! I really felt like Jacob in 2 Nephi 9 where he just can't stop praising God for this AMAZING plan that He's created for us! I know we have trials and hard times for a reason, they make us so much more reliant on the Savior. I hope y'all have a good week!! πŸ˜˜

xoxo,
Sister Rodriguez

P.S.
We OYM'd this guy and he started walking with us so we're in the middle of the Restoration when this guy comes out of the bar and starts following us and these guys just start yelling at each other about the guys dad and the other guys mistress and they're going to tell on each other and I literally thought we were gonna witness a fight right then and there but we ended up just walking away cause it was gettin too heated for us hahah but it was hilarious. πŸ˜‚

Pics: 
1/2. District pics (we copied the painting in the back... it's only a little apostate) 



3. Mama DπŸ’•



4. VERMONT ST in toga!



5. terrible quality, but when we went to Hoosick, we got to go have dinner at Brother Behunins and Sister Kelly came!!! 2 of my favorite members of the Bennington branchπŸ’–





more pics! Some of my fav families/people













No comments:

Post a Comment