Monday, March 20, 2017

Stellaaaaa



Craziest snow storm of my life. If you haven't heard, we experienced a true Nor'Easter called 'Stella'. It was the biggest snow storm Vermont has seen since 1993. We were stuck inside our apartment for almost 2 whole days. All of our district meetings and exchanges got cancelled and on Wednesday we were told we weren't allowed to use our car at all!

So funny background story: on Monday's we usually work an extra hour so on Tuesdays we can go shopping in Bennington at Wal Mart because it's a lot cheaper! Well, Tuesday we weren't able to go to Bennington so we decided we'll just wait till next week to do all our shopping. So, Sister Ferrin and I have gotten quite good at coming up with things to eat this week! We literally are out of bread, eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt, butter and a lot of other things. Ha! At this point we told ourselves we might as well just hold out until we can go to Wal Mart tomorrow, we've made it this far! ðŸ˜‚

Anyways, Tuesday we stayed inside alllll dayyyyy. We weren't allowed to leave. We got 3 different text messages from our leaders saying all missionaries had to go home and leave their cars. If we did leave the apartment, we had to be 3 minutes away from the apartment. That night we had a phone lesson with Kathy and Wendy, and also (yes, we braved the storm and left) walked over to our neighbors who is a less active and his wife isn't a member and watched 'Finding Faith in Christ' with them. It was nice to get out of the apartment! Wednesday we weren't allowed to use our car at all. We had some service at a nursing home so we walked about a mile to get there and back. It wasn't too bad, just so much snow and really cold! It was fun though because over those two days we probably got at least 6 hours of studying in. It's awesome! We did a lot of contacting people on the phone and updating the area book, cleaning the apartment, and getting organized. Being a missionary in the NYUM is always an adventure😊

So last Monday, we saw my dear friend Ram. He's an investigator from Nepal and has a hard time understanding who God is. We stopped by and I asked him how his applications were going. He applied to 10 different schools for his Masters program and he told us he didn't get accepted to any of them. He was really upset and told us that he doesn't believe in God. That God doesn't have a plan for him. "no more God. No more God" He kept telling us. It seriously broke my heart. He wouldn't even let us say a prayer with him before we left. He tried telling me that in 5 years I wouldn't believe in God either. I told him that I don't know what the future holds but that I bet I would still believe in God. We made a deal that in 5 years if I still believe in God, I'll message him on Facebook and he'll let the missionaries come teach him and his whole village! So y'all best believe that in 5 years the missionaries in Nepal (if there are even missionaries there idk) are gonna get about 20 referrals from ya girl! It's sad to see Ram struggling but I definitely know that God has a plan for him and in 5 years, he's gonna get baptized.

This week I've been reading two conference talks a day from last conference in preparation for this coming conference! Something really stood out to me this time from Uchtdorf's talk "O How Great the Plan of Our God" He said: 

"Recently I had the opportunity to travel to Belfast, Northern Ireland. While there, I noticed the Belfast Coat of Arms, which includes the motto “Pro tanto quid retribuamus,” or “What shall we give in return for so much?”
I invite each of us to consider this question. What shall we give in return for the flood of light and truth God has poured out upon us?"
The phrase 'Pro tanto quid retribuamus' now sits in my Book Of Mormon as a constant reminder of what I'm going to give in return for so much. I'd like each of you to think about that this week as well! We are so lucky to have the gospel in our lives. 
Funny quotes of the week:
Janet: "you know Jason? (her boss) I always ask for Sundays off. He calls me and says 'you're on the schedule' I say 'i know. but i am at church.'" haha isn't she awesome? She goes to the Baptist church but wants to come to church with us this week so we are stoked!
Sister Ferrin while tracting: "have a good dinner!" 
Guy: "you too!.. err.. umm.." *Shuts the door* 
Pictures: 
1. When Coach is like "Hello Spring" and God's like "lol here's 3 feet of snow" 
2. So. much. snow.
3. Shamrock shakes for St. Patrick's day!

4. Ed took us out for pizza and a lesson on Monday: VT pizza isn't as good as NY's, but still better than Utahs so I'll take what I can get ðŸ˜‹
5. MORE SNOW






No comments:

Post a Comment