Monday, December 5, 2016

"BAZAAR" week

This week was so awesome! Sister Maughan and I are still having the BEST time being companions! All the time we're like "Something is wrong. We're having way too much fun." We're able to laugh and joke and find joy in the journey! I'm so lucky to have her as a companion and best friend!! 

This week, we did a ton of service! Which has been so great because of the #LIGHTtheWORLD initiative! We were able to volunteer at the Food Pantry, and also helped set up for an event at the Art Gallery in town. Both were really cool. We also did a lot of service at this "BAZAAR" at the Baptist church in town. Every year they have a Christmas sale with donated items and all the money goes to the Community Memorial Hospital! On Wednesday we spent a few hours setting up the Christmas room, we decorated a tree, sorted through boxes, and set up all these tables with awesome items for people to buy. On Friday we went to the hospital and helped with the auction part going on. Each department at the hospital puts together these AWESOME Christmas baskets and donated them. Then people can buy raffle tickets and try to win the baskets! Then on Saturday we were able to look around and do some shopping at the event and then we helped a ton with clean up and anything else people needed. 

It was really cool because before we went over, I said a prayer that people would be able to recognize us as servants of the Lord. Well, I know a lot of the volunteers because we volunteer with them at the thrift shop as well, so when we got there to help clean up they were all "Oh! The Sisters are here!" "Oh sisters! Come help us with this!" "these are the sisters from the Mormon church!" "These are the Mormons! They're the best helpers. " etc. etc. I didn't even think about that as being an answer to my prayer until Sister Maughan pointed it out to me! She was like "It was super cool that you prayed to be recognized as servants of the Lord, and all the people there did." I loved how that prayer was truly answered! 

I think the Bazaar was the highlight of my week. It was so much fun. I love being involved with the community! 
This week we also had some really cool spiritual experiences!  On Saturday we were at the Gangs house and we read a chapter in 2 Nephi with Nikki and Keith. We read about the Restoration and in that chapter it talks about 3 witnesses. I've read that chapter probably 3 times out here, but for some reason that really stood out to me this specific time. I felt SO much power and peace speak to me as I read that verse. The Spirit confirmed to me that the Restoration REALLY did happen!! Seriously, little moments like that are HUGE to my testimony. It wasn't anything major but from reading the Book of Mormon, we truly strengthen our testimony. Every time we open the scriptures, we 'put ourselves in a position to be blessed' I absolutely learned that this week.

Another really cool experience happened with our eternigator Steve! Steve is awesome. He's been investigating for about 2 years and has the strongest testimony. He used to come to church a lot but then for a while he got a second job and worked days and nights so he couldn't come for a while. Well, he quit his second job a few weeks ago but we just could not get him to come to church! We texted him this week and he said he would come (as usual but then he doesn't come) so we asked if he needed a ride and after a few minutes, he responded "Sure, that'd be great" I was really shocked because he usually doesn't accept rides, he bikes to church or doesn't show up! So we called around and got him a ride. He came to Sacrament meeting and stayed for all three hours. Well, Sister Maughan and I were teaching Gospel Principles and it was just us, Steve, and Brother Morgan. We flipped open to the lesson about prophets and Steve was like "Did you guys just randomly pick this?" and we were like "no, it's the scheduled lesson!" and he turned to Brother Morgan and was like "They know that one of my concerns about the church is the succession of prophets. I agree with prophets but I'm not sure about the succession of them" this is an issue we have been dealing with for about 2 months with Steve! But we had our lesson and it was awesome! Towards the end, Steve was like "ya know, when you guys texted me asking if I wanted a ride I had typed out 'I'll think about it' (which when he says that, he means I'm not coming) but I stopped. Something told me that I needed to be at church today. So i erased my message and typed out "sure" and I know that I definitely needed to be here at church today" I was like WHAT!!!! YES!!!! It was so cool that he was able to recognize the Spirit and follow it's promptings to come to church! At the end we asked "We know we didn't really talk about the succession of prophets.. but did this lesson help at all?" And he said "...I feel at peace about it." AHH that was soooo cool!!!! This week I am sooo grateful for the Spirit and it's role in our conversion. Seriously The Spirit is amazing and I am so grateful for it in my life, especially in missionary work!! 

Oh and one more thing, we are SO EXCITED for this week because.... CATHERINE IS GETTING BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY!!!!!! She passed her interview this week so we are going to be busy busy busy this week getting everything ready! We are so so so excited for her!! 

Well, I love you all and I hope you have a great week!!! Don't forget to participate in #LIGHTtheWORLD and serve those around you. Love you all :)

Funny Stories:
 
Maughan: "I couldn't sleep last night. So you know what I did? I played The Incredibles in my head by memory"

Maughan: "Who do you think the angel was that visited Alma?"
Me: "Probably me"

"I'll trade you 120 chicken nuggets for 120 raffle tickets"

Dan Rains: "The sun never sets on McDonalds" 

Maughan: "We expect a feast for dinner tonight!"
Dan: "are you guys bringing anything?"
Maughan:" Yeah... we have off brand Captain Crunch!!"


*Playing apples to apples* 
Karen: "The word is unforgettable and you chose Hippopotamus?!?!"
Dan: "have you SEEN a hippo?!?!" 

Pictures: 
1/2. The Bazaar



3. Our goodies that we got at the bazaar :)



4. Pretty upset cause we had to set MORE mouse traps...



5. Coke, Mickey Ears, and a Santa hat... Christmas in a nutshell💕







No comments:

Post a Comment