Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Oh the things we've seen and it's only 8 in the morning!

Or at least I think that's how the quote from Tangled goes, Flynn Ryder says something like that in the beginning of the movie and I've been thinking about that like everyday because seriously sometimes I think it's almost time to go to bed and we haven't even eaten lunch yet! The days are sooo long but so amazing! Normally before I write down a quote from a movie I google the words to make sure I say the right thing but we don't have google anymore as missionaries! In our district we were talking about that and how we miss google and all of a sudden Elder Van Orden- who is super quiet - looks up laughing to himself and says "hahaha google and thummim" It was so funny!!! Sister Campbell and I were talking about how things that are funny here in the MTC wouldn't normally be funny at home but our expectations are so low for humor that we have to find it in anything. Well that was a weird introduction to my letter but I have a lot to say! It's probably going to be a long email so I'm sorry but I promise there will be funny stories at the end! 

First off, I LOVE THE MTC!!!!!!!!! Whoever says that it's Hell is seriously crazy because I LOVE THE MTC!!! I guess my expectations were super low because it has exceeded all of them! And the food is SO GOOD! We've had BYU ice cream twice, papa johns pizza on friday and yesterday we had CHICK FIL A!!! It was so good! Every other day the food is still good! I guess when you're used to cereal and microwaveable food anything is better than that haha. My companions dad is a chef (and apparently he's really good like she said he cooked for the Bejing Olympics) (also idk how to spell Bejing but you know what i'm talking about) so she doesn't think the food is great cause she's used to better but i seriously love everything about the MTC! I used to feel bad for people that are here for 6+ weeks but now i'm so jealous! I never want to leave!

My companions name is Sister Hall. She's hearing impaired and completely deaf! She has a coclear implant so that she can hear which is really a blessing bc she takes it off at night and can't hear me squeaking around on the top bunk. It doesn't seem like we'd be friends normally but we get along really well! As companions we're great, especially when we teach. It's just different bc i do about 80% of the talking in the lessons. As a teacher it's hard to get used to a co-teacher. At learning tree i had a co-teacher but we taught at different times. Getting used to giving and taking is weird just because i'm used to being in charge of the whole lesson when I teach like in nursery or at McMillan. But it's great, she's really good at coming up with scriptures to use and i'm really good at getting the investigators comfortable with us, at least i hope i am!

Thank you so much for sending me dear elders! Seriously I've gotten one from mom and like 3 from dad they make my day!!! Our DL hands them to us in front of everyone so it makes me feel good when i get them hahahah our district made me read one of the letters to them one day lol

At the beginning everyone tells you that your district will be your family and i did not believe them. The first day was awkward. But then after spending 3 days together you're all laughing and switching name tags with everyone, we're all so comfortable around each other i love it! Sister Campbell is my best friend!!! I LOVE HER!!! Her comp is sister clark... and well.. she makes us late to EVERYTHING!!! it's so frustrating. we tell her exactly what time we're leaving and we give her 5 minute warnings starting like 20 minutes before we leave and she still takes forever!!!! she's slower than karli!!!! and she's worse at sports haha us four (Hall, campbell and clark) are the only girls in our district and the only ones in our district that are going to Utica! the boys are going to Irvine. CA, Kentucky, and DC NORTH!! I told Elder morgan and broadhead to tell the Johnsons hi and that they know me and the Johnsons will love them since they know me haha but really they are getting awesome mission presidents!

Wow i have so much to say. Our district is hilarious. Elder Haycock reminds me of Alec Erickson so that's enough said hahahahaha.

Our investigators are good! We had our first TCR yesterday and all three of our investigators accepted our invitations to read the BOM and pray! That was so scary but such a relief that they said yes! Also Bri said the prayer at the end of the lesson! YAY! 

I really thought that I had my life centered around Christ when I was at home but now that I'm here I realize that i wasn't even close. My life has been 1000% better for being at the MTC and obeying Heavenly Father's call for me to serve a mission. I see Christ IN EVERYTHING seriously every second of the day Christ is next to me and I don't ever want that feeling to go away. I know He was with me before but i can feel it so much stronger now. I can't believe there was a time when i didn't want to serve a mission. I just am grateful that I listened because it hasn't even been a full week here but my life is changed. there's no way to describe it.
Our STL (sister training leaders) are amazing!!! Seriously the girls in our room are sister black and sister gardner (and clark and campbell), then right next door is sister giles (she's like the mom of all of us and braids my hair almost everyday) sister Mckay, sister Preater, sister Burgman, and our STLs sister Gurr and Sister Fletcher. They're all going other places too but they are so amazing! They've helped us feel soooo welcome.
I love you all but i haven't had any homesickness yet which I know is a blessing from God, seriously. He's watching out for me. I haven't been sleeping much which stinks but as long as I go to bed at 10:30 (which i do) and wake up at 6:30 I have enough energy to last the whole day. I don't sleep at 10:30 but since I obey and go to bed then even though i fall asleep what seems like 12, I have energy for the day and i'm not cranky! It's things like that that truly build my faith and know that as i'm obedient, Christ will bless me. I didn't think it was possible, but my love for my Savior has grown so much the past 6 days. I could go on and on about the district and everything but lets get to the funny quotes!

Sis campbell: "It's day 13 in the MTC and sister rodriguez has peed 391 times!"

Sister Haws (our teacher): "I think this is  my ADHD group" Edler Wothe (Zone Leader) "I don't have it.. what are you talking about?" *as he rocks back and forth in his desk*

"It's day 19 and Sister Campbell still hasn't showered"

*Me singing* Sister Hall: "I think i'm gonna turn my hearing aide off.." HAHAH that was my fav.

*me to a random elder* "Will you take our picture?" "Sure! Say Jesus!!" lolol i was the only one that laughed

"What's youre guilty pleasure?" *Elder Fife (our fave elder) without skipping a beat* "Brittany Spears, Womanizer. I can jam to that song" HAHAHAHA

me: "Well that was really stupid of them to do that" Sister Clark: "You say as you throw pins at the wall like they're darts" hahaha i got really bored that day and started throwing pins at the wall like i was playing darts and i got two stuck in the wall which is more than the elders haha!

Elder Haycock: "Wait we have to come study for another hour after this?!?" Me: "You don't study anyways!" Him: "We have to come SIT for another hour after this?!?" 

Elder Morgan: "I admit it, I have pinterest" Elder Broadhead: "You have pinterest?!? okay I have 
etsy.... but only for my girlfriend...."

And then today we were walking to lunch and some elder behind us was like "I'll trade you a picture of my girlfriend for a picture of your great grandma" WE BUST UP LAUGHING 

And probably my favorite story is of Elder Haycock. So he seriously never pays attention in class and just does like nothing like ever and Elder Fife his comp is District leader and so awesome and so obedient and so funny and like perfect so it's hilarious that they're total opposites so elder fife is like " I don' think we're ready for this lesson" and out of nowhere elder haycock jumps out and goes "I THINK WE'RE READY"and WHIPS his badge reel around and sister campbell goes "LASSO HER INTO THE FONT" HAHAHAHAHAH it's funny cause literally elder haycock will not leave his badge reel alone that's the only thing he ever does is whip it around. Well these stories probs weren't funny to anyone but me but i thought i'd share!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH sorry this was so long but seriously our days are so jam packed that so much happens! I also have TONS of pics to send!

Also I see sister smiley, sister zullo, sister muhlstein and STARZY HILL!!!!!! Like all the time. Seriously those are the best tender mercies i could ask for. OH and i see Sister Shulz and Sister Lee all the time. They're comps in another district which is weird cause I thought we'd be in the same district cause we're all going to the same place but it's okay because we still see each other, gah i love them!

Oh and we have 4 girls in our district and 8 elders. the sisters are outnumbered sooooo much WE NEED SISTER MISSIONARIES!!!!!

Anyways we gotta go check our laundry hahahah sister campbell and i just kinda threw soap in there so hopefully that's good. OH ONE MORE STORY so in class sis campbell and i were partners and our investiagtors name was supposed to be JO but we changed it to be jojo like from the bachelorette (WHICH SOMEONE NEEDS TO UPDATE ME ABOUT YESTERDAY PLEASE) and we were talking and laughing for two minutes straight and she was like "THIS is why we're not companions" it's so true! I wish she was but there's a reason she's not hahahaha we would never get anything done bc we just laugh the whole time. Well i will be back to send pics and respond to everyones emails in a sec! love you all and don't worry about me i'm doing great! but keep praying bc i can feel those prayers, seriously! ALSO PLEASE SEND ME DEAR ELDERS. my unit number is 162 and my mom can tell you how to send those but i LOVE getting those. LOVE Y'ALL

xoxo gospel girl





















No comments:

Post a Comment