Monday, January 15, 2018

The New York Utica Mission

Honestly I look back at the last 18 months and I'm filled with so much gratitude and love. How do I sum up 18 months of laughs, tears, hard work, the humidity, the cold, the good, the bad, etc. in an email? There's no way to describe the things I've experienced. 

A few years ago I had zero desire to serve a mission and that breaks my heart. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father humbled my heart and extended a call for me to serve Him with all my heart, might, mind, and strength.

When I got my call to New York, I thought it was perfect for me. When I got here and realized how rural everything was, I wasn't so sure. I had no idea what God had in store for me. But as I continue to trust Him and His plan, He never lets me down. I have come to know in a very real way that God has a personal and individualized plan for each and every one of us.  He has truly turned me into someone I'm proud to be. He took my hand and helped me every step of the way. I know He was beside me through the hard days, days when I didn't think I could make it to the end of the night, days when I was homesick beyond belief, times when people were unnecessarily and flat out rude, doors slammed in my face, watching the people I love struggle through trials and challenges, stress of the unknown, He had a reason for every experience I went through. 

People always think the hardest part of a mission is getting doors slammed in your face or people yelling at you. Honestly sometimes that hurts, but it's nothing compared to the pain of watching someone come to know that the gospel is true and yet not wanting to change. Watching someone use their agency to turn away from God and to choose Satan. But none of that pain compares to the joy of knowing how loving and merciful our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ are. I have truly come to know them in a way I never thought was possible. I've come to know how prophets in the Book of Mormon felt when they cried over the wickedness of the people. I've come to see all the pain swallowed up in the joy that comes from helping someone you love enter the waters of baptism to make a covenant with God that they'll serve Him, keep His commandments, take His name upon them, and always remember Him. And that's exactly what we got to witness this weekend. 

Brittany. got. baptized. She's a Mormon!!! 

I've never seen so much opposition or so many stumbling blocks placed in someone's way. Yet I've also never seen so much perseverance from someone. Brittany pushed through and overcame everything with the help of our Savior so she could be baptized. I don't remember the last time I felt the Spirit so strong as I did when I watched her enter into the waters of baptism. It was an amazing and powerful experience! There's no denying the truthfulness of this gospel. 

Before I came on the Lord's mission, I didn't know that these things were true, honestly. I believed all of it, but I didn't KNOW that they were true. My first couple weeks in the field, I realized that wasn't going to be enough. I knew I couldn't be out spreading lies and I needed to know if these things were true. That's when I sincerely started to read the Book of Mormon. I took Moroni's challenge and prayed and asked God if it was true. The power I felt when I did that, is indescribable. That experience has carried me through these last couple of months in New York as I've extended that same invitation to as many people as I could. Because I know that it's a promise from our Heavenly Father. That if we want to know if this church really is the same one that Christ brought to the earth 2,000 years ago, we read the Book of Mormon and pray to the source of all truth, God Himself. 

I know that He lives and hears and answers prayers. He loves us so much. Any honest seeker of truth can come to know by the power of the Holy Ghost that these things are true. We can each have our own personal testimonies of these things! Anyone and Everyone! I have felt the love that God has for us over and over again, day in and day out. He loves the people of New York (and Vermont) so much, and so do I. I never imagined how hard it would be to leave this place that I love so much. I've complained many times about how crazy the people are here or how cold or how hard this mission has been. But the truth is, I wouldn't trade a single day from these last 18 months for anything. 

I can't describe how grateful I am that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth. I know that Jesus is the Christ, this is His church, it's being led by a prophet of God who holds all the priesthood keys, I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God, and I am so grateful that I was called to share these truths with my brothers and sisters. I know that God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith HERE in Upstate New York and that event changed history. I know my Savior Jesus Christ lives. I know Him and I love Him. I'm grateful that even though my time in His service is over, it never truly is. I'll be testifying of Him forever. Cliché, but even though the nametag has to come off, it truly never will. It's permanently on my heart forever. I say these things in the precious name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

Pics: 
Brittany's baptism

 MEAGHAN I'M GOING TO MISS HER SO MUCH

 

We tried to be cute

how we look



Me in my natural habitat (Ricos pizza)


Steve Bushetti (lol I know that's not his name but close enough)




Brittany's baptism!!!


Brittany's baptism!!!



I 💗NY


When you get your car back from the elders and there's a pic of Elder Placencia on your TiWi card...


 Cleaning the font.















No comments:

Post a Comment